Monday, February 12, 2018

Don't Hide Your Goodness: Be Brave and Shine!




Why do I hide behind shyness, meekness or false humility? Why is it difficult and sometimes painful to stand strong in my competence, my skills and ("shyly" stated) my gifts? 

I used to feel that if I claimed my goodness; emotional or professional, that I would somehow a) stop trying and b) curry disfavor as if I were bragging. And maybe, feeling superstitious, pointing out a goodness would call forth an equal and opposite badness to keep the world in balance.

Remember the "humble brags" of a few year ago where we would state something terrific that we were doing or what was happening and hide it under an "I'm not worthy" umbrella? I don't want to do that anymore.

I want to feel the right size, the size that will be me; no more and no less. It won't deplete the world or others of their goodness and maybe it will help light the room of the world.

When we share our light with others, we do not diminish our own light. Rather, we increase the amount of light available to all. Therefore, when others light our candle, we issue forth light. When out of gratitude we use our candle to light other people’s candles, the whole room gets brighter.-  Master Sheng Yen, "Rich Generosity"

-- 
Happy Valentine's Day- love yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment