Monday, January 4, 2016

The Slow March From Codependence

I want to be helpful, useful, considerate, kind; a contributing member of society. I have skills, there are things I have learned and things that I can do that can benefit others. But, I am slowly learning, not to change the world but to offer myself by BEING myself.

Rather than imposing my solutions on others, I am learning to ask what they already know, offering my experience rather than my advice.  The service of recovery asks that I be responsible to the suffering alcoholic- but only to the alcoholic who wishes to stop drinking - without reserve.  Otherwise - I am just meddling.

So, too, in other relationships I am learning to avoid TELLING and to try asking. It is hard, I am so good at inveigling myself into the life of another- so clever that I could change their world - when really , my work is to change myself.

“Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.”
​ - Rumi​

Kyczy Hawk RYT E-500

Publishing “Yoga and the Twelve Step Path” was the happy conclusion to years of study and research into the inter-relationship between the philosophy of yoga and the principles of 12 Step recovery. She has now publishedLife in Bite-Sized Morsels” and “From Burnout to Balance” among others. She is the founder of S.O.A.R.(™) Success Over Addiction and Relapse

You can join Kyczy and a host of other people in recovery every Sunday morning at 7am PT (10 am ET) on In The Rooms for the Yoga Recovery meeting.

Kyczy has been teaching recovery focused yoga classes since 2008.  Taking the foundation of a traditional yoga training she received from the Lotus Yoga Teacher Association (of the Himalayan Yoga Institute), she has combined the wisdom and inspiration from other teachers along the way.  

With deep bows she thanks her teachers; Sarla Walters, Durga Leela, Annalisa Cunningham and Nikki Myers.

More about her work can be found at www.yogarecovery.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment